Purchase books on ISPST's Reading List
ISPST will earn 15% of sales from Amazon if you purchase any books listed below therough the links provided. Amazon links are in the titles of books. Please email us with any additional books you think we should list here.
New book based o the Psychology of Science conferecne at Purdue in 2010:
Proctor, R. W. and Capaldi, E.J. (2012). Psychology of Science: Implicit and Explicit Processes. Oxford University Press.
New book based on the Klahr Festschrift at Carnegie Mellon University in 2009:
Carver, S., and Shager, J. (2012). Journey from Child to Scientist: Integrating Cognitive Development and the Education Sciences. American Psychological Association, USA.
Books Since 2000
- Andersen, H., Barker, P., & Chen, X. (2006). The Cognitive Structure of Scientific Revolutions. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Carruthers, P., Stich, S., & Siegal, M. (Eds.) (2002). The Cognitive Basis of Science. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Feist, G.J. (2006). The Psychology of Science and the Origins of the Scientific Mind. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Clement, John (2008). Creative Model Construction in Scientists and Students: The Role of Imagery, Analogy, and Mental Simulation. Dordrecht: Springer
- Geisler, E. (2000). The Metrics of Science and Technology . Westport, CT: Greenwood.
- Geisler, E. (2001). Creating Value with Science and Technology. Westport, CT: Greenwood.
- Gorman, M.E., Tweney, R.D., Gooding, D.C., & Kincannon, A. (Eds.). (2004). Scientific and Technological Thinking. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Klahr, D. (2000). Scientific and Technological Thinking. Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Simonton, D.K. (2004). Creativity in Science: Chance, Logic, Genius, and Zeitgeist. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press.
- Campbell, D. T. (1988). Methodology and Epistemology for Social Sciences: Selected Papers. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Carey, S. (1987). Conceptual Change in Childhood (Bradford Books). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- De Mey, M. (1992). The Cognitive Paradigm. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Eiduson, B.T. (1962). Scientists Their Psychological World. New York: Basic Books.
- Faust, D. (1984). The Limits of Scientific Reasoning. University of Minnesota Press.
- Fuller, S. (1993, 2nd edition). Philosophy of Science and Its Discontents, Second Edition. New York: Guilford Press.
- Galton, F. (1874). English Men of Science: Their Nature and Nurture . London: Macmillan.
- Giere, R. (Ed.)(1992). Cognitive Models of Science (Minnesota Studies in the Philosophy of Science) . Minneapolis, MN: Minnesota University Press.
- Giere, R. (Ed.)(1988). Explaining Science: A Cognitive Approach (Science and Its Conceptual Foundations series) . Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Gholson, B., Shadish, W.R., Neimeyer, R.A., & Houts, A.C. (Eds.) (1989). Psychology of Science: Contributions to metascience.. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Gooding, D. (1990). Experiment and the Making of Meaning: Human Agency in Scientific Observation and Experiment (Science and Philosophy). Dordrecht: Kluwer.
- Gopnik, A., Meltzoff, A. N., & Kuhl, P. K. (1999). The Scientist in the Crib: Minds, Brains, And How Children Learn. New York: William Morrow and Co.
- Gorman, M. E. (1992). Simulating Science: Heuristics, Mental Models, and Technoscientific Thinking (Science, Technology, and Society). Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- Gruber, H.E. (1981). Simulating Science: Heuristics, Mental Models, and Technoscientific Thinking (Science, Technology, and Society). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Inhelder, B., & Piaget, J. (1958). Growth of Logical Thinking: From Childhood to Adolescence. New York: Basic Books.
- Koslowski, B. (1996). Theory and Evidence: The Development of Scientific Reasoning (Bradford Books). Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Kuhn, D., Amstel, E., & O'Loughlin, M. (1988). The Development of Scientific Thinking Skills (Developmental Psychology). New York: Academic Press.
- Langley, P., Simon, H. A., Bradshaw, G. L., & Zykow, J. M. (1987). Scientific Discovery: Computational Explorations of the Creative Processes. Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Mahoney, M.J. (1976). Scientist as subject: The psychological imperative. Ballinger Publishing.
- Mitroff, I. (1974). Subjective Side of Science: Philosophical Inquiry into the Psychology of the Apollo Moon Scientists. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Piaget, J. (1952). Child's Conception Of Number. New York: Norton.
- Roe, A. (1952). The making of a scientist. New York: Dodd, Mead.
- Rosenthal, R. (1976). Experimenter Effects in Behavioral Research (enlarged edition). New York. Irvington Publishers.
- Shadish, W. R., & S. Fuller. (Eds.). (1994). The Social Psychology of Science. New York: Guilford Press.
- Simonton, D.K. (1988). Scientific Genius: A Psychology of Science. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press.
- Sulloway, F. (1996). Born to Rebel: Birth Order, Family Dynamics, and Creative Lives. New York: Pantheon.
- Suppe, F. (Ed.) (1977). The Structure of Scientific Theories . Champaign, IL: Univserity of Illinois Press.
- Taylor, C.W., & Barron, F. (1963). Scientific Creativity: Its Recognition and Development. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Thagard, P. (1992). Conceptual Revolutions. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Tweney, R.D., Doherty, M.E., & Mynatt, C.R. (Eds.), (1981). Tweney: on Scientific Thinking (Cloth). New York: Columbia University Press.
Faraday's Slides Now Online
A paper detailing a cognitive analysis of his work is linked on the web site, and may be accessed directly at:
Register for the ISPST 2012 Conference in Pittsburgh, PA
Visit the ISPST 2012 website: https://sites.google.com/site/ispst2012/ All authors of posters or papers at ISPST 2012Read More...
Greg's interview with the New Scientist
Article in the Times Higher Education about Berkeley Conference
Zoe Corbyn has written up a very nice and insightful piece about the struggles of the psychology of science and our society has in establishing in the Times of Higher Education (a UK publication). I do like the title “Ahead of the Curve.”...Read More...
Gooding Memorial Meeting, Sept. 22-23
A conference will be held 22nd and 23rd September 2010 at the University of Bath in memory of David Gooding's contribution to the understanding of science. In recognition of his many contributions, papers will be given by speakers who knew David and...Read More...
Download the 2010 ISPST conference program
Search the Site
Register for ISPST 2012 Conference in Pittsburgh, PA Visit the ISPST 2012 Conference website: https://sites.google.com/site/ispst2012/ All...
Welcome to our new site Please vist the Member Area and subscribe to get emails from the forum. ...
New books on the Psychology of Science Buy these books from a related conferences using these links to earn...
2010 Conference Berkeley, CA 3rd Biennial ISPST Conference Berkeley CA, August 6-7, 2010 SPECIAL...